Dog Owners Take Note - Grapes Toxic
I found the following article by the ASPCA this weekend stating that there is increasing evidence that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Of 140 cases of ingestion noted during a one year span from April '03 to April '04, 50 dogs developed complications ranging from vomiting to kidney failure. Seven dogs died.
As the specifics of the toxicity are not yet known, they cannot say whether the ill effects are only seen following a volume dose. There may be a cumulative component in reaching an individual dog's level of tolerance for whatever the toxin is.
The full article is here: http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16645&news_iv_ctrl=-1
Apparently there are even still a lot of vets who do not know about this potential toxicity, so spread the word to anyone you know who has a dog. I know I've given grapes and raisins to Rio at times in the past...