FOXmas cancelled after adverse publicity
Originating in a private drinking and dancing party, the event — scheduled for 11-13 December in Rochester, New York — was intended to be more tolerant of public displays of affection than other furry gatherings. Unlimited alcohol at the Saturday party was advertised for a $25 registration fee.
FOXmas's promotion had a hyperbolic and decidedly mature tone, leading to controversy inside and outside furry fandom. The latter proved its demise when Something Awful's coverage reached hotel management, resulting in cancellation of the event's function space and room block.
Those who pre-registered for the event have been refunded. There will still be an invitation-only party at Soron's house, as in previous years.
|If it were an "adults only" thing that'd be one thing, but it's 18+ so you can draw that "elephant in the room". 18, specifically, is the legal age for sex. — The Dragoneer|
|I am appalled and extremely embarrassed. This is NOT the reputation we want anywhere near our hotels. In no way, shape or form did the planner mention anything about Furries as they are called and what the group does for 'fun.' I asked him about the group during negotiations. He told me this was for a mini-convention of mascots. — hotel manager, as reported by Something Awful|
|Skritching, hugging, lapsitting, kissing, and groping should be allowed between consenting adults at conventions - and it will be at ours. — Jaspian Stealthpaw|
|There will be a private party, but unfortunately due to space restrictions, it must be invite only and limited to about 30 furs. Also there are several hotels interested in hosting us in 2010 even with the controversy that has ensued — Soron|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Foxmas has been canceled for 2009 - Soron, thefrozenoasis (27 October 2009)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 FOXmas Announcement! (Frozen Oasis 20) - Jaspian Stealthpaw, thefrozenoasis (16 September 2009)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Just the FAQS - FOXmas
- ↑ FOXmas Flyer - picture by AC on Soron's Fur Affinity account (15 October 2009)
- ↑ Slutty Furry Christmas Con 2009 - nothingkat (6 October 2009)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Most Important Event in Furry History' - The Dragoneer's Fur Affinity journal (12 October 2009)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 FOX-mas (Thanks, wuffienolikie)! - Something Awful Link of The Day (14 October 2009)
- ↑ FOX-mas Update! - Something Awful Link of The Day (23 October 2009)
- ↑ Whats up with the hotel? - FOXmas, Google Groups (19 October 2009)
- Frozen Oasis returns to Anthrocon (4 July 2007)
- Conifur Northwest cancelled for good; assets given to All Fur Fun (18 February 2007)