September 2012 Newsbytes archive
Newsbytes turned two years old last month, and, wait, didn’t we already do this?
Anyway, this month’s contributors include crossaffliction (17), dronon (7), earthfurst (1), Equivamp (1), Fred (9), GreenReaper (24), Higgs Raccoon (5), Patch Packrat (1), Rakuen Growlithe (1), RingtailedFox (5) and Sonious (3) for a total of 74 Newsbytes.
3. GreenReaper: Happy Meal proves bear's downfall.
4. GreenReaper: Gray wolves threatened as feds drop protection in Wyoming.
5. GreenReaper: Just hours to vote for the Fandom's Favorite Fursuit Fracas winners . . .
6. Rakuen Growlithe: A very detailed exploration of Internet cat videos.
7. dronon: Ursula Vernon's Digger has won a Hugo Award!
9. GreenReaper: Tasty tortoises come in own bowl.
10. GreenReaper: Tigers dodge humans with 'night shift'.
11. Fred: Everyone is killing elephants.
12. GreenReaper: Trailing "Europe's weirdest beast".
13. Higgs Raccoon: Former FurryMUCK administrator S'A'Alis reported to have passed away.
15. crossaffliction: Where does your mom sleep?
16. RingtailedFox: Hitchhiking kitten goes on 100-mile ride. (Courtesy: WPTZ-TV 5 Plattsburg)
17. GreenReaper: Gawker dips into the world of otherkin.
18. dronon: There's a young adult fiction book out by Hal Johnson called Immortal Lycanthropes.
19. crossaffliction: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 1 is coming to DVD Dec. 4 exclusively on Amazon, where it is available for preorder. [Sethisto/Equestria Daily]
20. GreenReaper: Could sea otters help fight global warming?
21. GreenReaper: Sprinting cheetah "like rear-wheel-drive car".
23. Higgs Raccoon: @GreenReaper: on the subject of cheetahs, they are developing a robotic one to kill people.
24. Fred: Vote quickly! This most beautiful Madagascar bug beauty contest, organized by Harvard scientists, closes on Monday, 10 September.
25. dronon: PBS has a 7-minute video discussing broad issues of fandoms in society.
27. Sonious: Want to mitigate some of the causes of global warming? Throw in more otters.
29. Fred: DreamWorks Animation releases titles of 12 planned features through June 2016, including anthropomorphic Turbo, How to Train Your Dragon 2 & 3, Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Penguins of Madagascar, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman.
31. crossaffliction: Hollywood Reporter counts down the 10 sexiest cartoon characters, whether it’s appropriate or not. Two Rabbits and two furries, with not a 100% crossover between those two categories.
33. GreenReaper: Is that a loris in your pants, or are you just pleased to leave Delhi?
34. Sonious: Furries in for a double whammy as fchan joins FA in downed furry sites.
35. RingtailedFox: Let's hope that e621.net remains up...
36. RingtailedFox: Update: fchan.us seems fine for OpenDNS and Cogeco Cable (Ontario) users...
39. crossaffliction: IGN review of first issue of the comic book adaptation of The Road to Oz. If I remember right, this one features a city ruled by anthro foxes!
40. Sonious: fchan is back up, FurAffinity is up but only in read only mode.
41. GreenReaper: The lapsed furaffinityforums.net is now pointing to a 'Romney for President' PAC site (the domain owner is private). [greaseyote]
42. Fred: Priceless or worthless?
43. GreenReaper: Bald eagle gets prosthetic beak.
44. Fred: Lemmings die; predators face extinction.
45. Higgs Raccoon: Portland Library worries about fursuiters.
47. GreenReaper: Kia Soul hamsters go time travelling in new commercial. [Bushrat]
48. Higgs Raccoon: New Wreck-it-Ralph trailer (minor furry content).
49. GreenReaper: Child Heroes educators and illustrator Joshua Nash bring us the children's education books Eli the Bipolar Bear, Wheezy the Asthmatic Zebra, Elle the Little Lost Wombat and Morty the Meerkat has Autism. [tip: BlindWolf8]
50. RingtailedFox: The Ministry of Transport of Ontario has built its first wildlife overpass, south of Sudbury on Highway 69/Future Highway 400.
51. GreenReaper: UK researchers consult on modifying mitochondrial germ lines to fix diseases - a necessary first step towards human/animal/plant hybrids? Have your say!
54. GreenReaper: Siberian zoo breeds lion-liger hybrid.
55. Higgs Raccoon: Brazil chooses endangered armadillo as 2014 World Cup mascot.
57. Fred: Goose meets man = romance.
58. earthfurst: Florida Panthers lay off employees, including mascot Stanley C. Panther.
59. GreenReaper: Squirrels: chicken of the trees?
60. crossaffliction: Is this the long rumored MLP:FiM movie, only straight to DVD, or just three episodes compiled? Oh, well, not like anything else is happening on Dec. 21. Also, Jamie’s Got Tentacles?
61. crossaffliction: Interview with game director Junichi Masuda on the upcoming Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
62. dronon: Inflatable unicorn horn... for cats.
63. GreenReaper: Way more than you wanted to know about sex in the animal kingdom [with educational links].
65. crossaffliction: GameStop is giving away a free legendary Pokémon, and guess what? It’s a pony! [tip: Guy behind counter at local GameStop]
66. crossaffliction: Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney in upcoming Saving Mr. Banks. He was seen at the Emmys with his Disney ‘stache.
67. GreenReaper: Did you know our own Fred Patten was inducted into the MidFur’s Furry Hall of Fame last year? Watch the newly-available coverage, including a 20-minute video interview with Fred and various other long-time furry fans.
68. Fred: Review: Wired thinks the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is great fun.
69. crossaffliction: I caught the "preview;" I'm planning on writing my own review when the two part series premiere airs tomorrow. I'll say looks promising, and the action figures are awesome.
70. Equivamp I'd have to agree with that. Also, when was the last time the ninja turtles were on TV (excluding re-runs)?
71. GreenReaper: Well, I see this painful-looking TMNT Smash Up ad from 2009 . . .
72. RingtailedFox: Washington State senator Kevin Ranker (D) blasts a controversial slaughter of an entire wolf pack. (Courtesy: KING-TV 5 Seattle)
73. crossaffliction: @Equivamp; the last TMNT animated series ended with a TV movie in 2010.
74. crossaffliction: Eh, scratch that: The TV movie finished the series in 2009, but the reruns lasted until 2010.